Monday, November 29, 2004

Rats on the Barbie

It was a beautiful spring day and I went out to clean the gas grill so I could cook a few burgers and corn-on-the-cob. Following along was my faithful dog Peabo, a medium-sized mutt of indeterminate breed, though we suspected there was some kind of terrier or schnauzer in him. In fact, we used to have him trimmed in the schnauzer fashion, except in the places where he didn’t grow enough fur.

With my scraper, wire brush and Peabo by my side, I approached the grill. Lifting the lid, I was shocked to see a rat (yes, a real live one) perched on top of the grill - seemingly undisturbed by my interruption. Immediately, I closed the lid and began formulating a plan to rid the world of one more disgusting rat. Since I didn’t want to walk away and let the rat escape, I would have to make do with the only tools available: a scraper, a wire brush, and a gas grill.

Because I'm a guy and because I had fire at my disposal, I quickly discarded the scraper and brush in favor of frying that rat's ass! With the lid closed (folks, don’t try this at home!), I cranked up the gas and hit the ignition. WHOOSH! Flames leapt out of every ventilation hole and I knew I had that rat right where I wanted him – fried to a crisp! But that’s not what happened. Mr. Rat and two more of his pals found a way out (through the same ventilation holes), hit the ground and scattered.

I never even had a chance at those rats, they were moving so fast. But mild-mannered Peabo (who had never harmed a living thing in his life except for one very unfortunate frog) was suddenly transformed into the rats’ worst nightmare. Shortly after hitting the ground, one rat found himself being scooped up in the dog’s mouth, shaken and beaten to a pulp on the patio! By the time I got the rat away from Peabo, the other two had escaped, never to return.

Careful to avoid any contact with his mouth, I praised Peabo, rewarded him with a treat - and took the family out to eat!

Sadly, Peabo left us a year ago - just after Christmas. He piddled and pooped in our yard (and in our house on rare occasions) for 17 years! Peabo, wherever you are now, the rats are terrified!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful info on acmecellphone.com cellular cellular cellular phone phone phone ,. More info on the subject here. acmecellphone.com cellular cellular cellular phone phone phone