Jeez, I don’t know how I missed this. After seeing references in Entertainment Weekly and on the Academy Awards, I had to track this story down. Apparently some conservative groups, such as Focus on Family and the American Family Association, have determined that Sponge Bob Square Pants is a homosexual – or at least, he promotes homosexuality. Several news agencies picked up the story.
I swear, some people have waaayyy too much time on their hands (like bloggers). But, in some ways I can see how folks might come to the conclusion that Sponge Bob is gay. All it takes is a little digging. Here are some of the indicators of Sponge Bob’s gayness:
- He views his world as a place of wonder and excitement – GAY!
- He has no desire to hurt anyone – GAY!
- He’s been known to hold hands with his best male friend – GAY! (I’m waiting for the AFA’s stance on football players holding hands in a ‘huddle.’)
- He’s kind, even to people who hate him – GAY!
- He’s being used in a video to promote tolerance of people with different backgrounds and lifestyles – SUPER GAY!
I am a bit concerned, however, that other cartoon and children’s characters have been missed. Sure, they nailed Tinky Winky, but what about:
- Bugs Bunny: Wears women’s clothing, serenades and kisses Elmer Fudd.
: A bachelor who never hooks up with any chickens. Leghorn
- Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh: Lives alone and is obsessively tidy.
- The Pink Panther: He’s pink, for god’s sake!
- Baloo Bear: Hangs around with a half-naked boy in the jungle, also dresses as a female.